2021 has been a big year for me, as this is the year I celebrated 20 years in business as CEO of The Works Consulting. 20 years!!
As you can imagine, this resulted in a lot of reflection – How did I get here? What did I learn? What might I have done differently? What would I do again?
What you may not know is that I started my business two decades ago with only $1,000 in my bank account, minimal support, and what I hoped to be a really good idea. And here I am, 20 years later, celebrating and sharing some of the lessons that got me here. I’m proud of that person who woke up at the beginning of every day willing to get up and try again, no matter how difficult things were. (Trust me, some days were very difficult!)
In honor of my 20th year in business, I am excited to share my top 20 takeaways as a business owner and leadership coach.
Without further ado, here are my Top 20 Lessons in 20 Years:
- Create your own path, the way everyone is doing it might not be the right way for you
- Be bold, take chances, and say yes to the opportunities that scare you
- Don’t expect anyone to act like the owner of your business, unless you give them actual ownership
- Don’t take yourself too seriously
- Having “things” doesn’t equal success in business
- Don’t go into debt – your goal is to have a profitable business
- Daydream – it’s essential to business growth
- Don’t get wrapped up in self-doubt
- Do what you love – if you don’t love what you are doing, stop doing it
- You can always find a job
- The people closest to you may be the least supportive
- Find your people – those who are excited for you, celebrate you, and will be with you when things get tough
- You will have bad days, but you will also have great days
- Know your worth
- Consistency does pay off
- Believe in yourself
- Accept that some relationships and projects may not serve you, and know when to walk away
- Find a coach or mentor from Day 1, and listen to them
- Remember you can’t do it alone
- Laugh a lot, treat yourself every once in a while and enjoy the ride!
I’ve said this before, but I wouldn’t be here without the support from those with who I surrounded myself with, and I’ll never take that for granted! I’m thankful to all of our clients, colleagues and friends who have supported us along the way.
Here’s to another 20 years of reaching new leaders, positively impacting teams, and creating the business environments that we deserve!